Meet Ananya S Rao, the dynamic force in the entertainment world. From gracing the stage with her graceful Bharatanatyam performances to captivating audiences as a social media sensation with her sister Apoorva S. Rao and making waves in reality television like Bigg Boss and In Real Love, Ananya’s journey is as diverse as it is inspiring and challenging. In this exclusive interview, the multifaceted artist shares her experiences, challenges, and aspirations, offering a glimpse into her life.
- Your journey as a social media influencer has inspired many. Could you share some key moments or challenges you faced that shaped your path, especially in the realm of social media and online influence?
The first thing I’d like to clarify is that I’m not an influencer. I’d probably call myself an entertainer. I dance with my twin sister. I wouldn’t say that the journey was as difficult as that, to be honest. I’d be lying to myself if I said that. It all depends on that one reel/ post that goes viral. And there you have it.
- Participating in Big Boss must have been a unique experience. How was the experience, and what were the most significant lessons you took away from the show?
Yes, Bigg Boss was a very big step for me that would have helped me in some way to be accepted by the Tamil industry. It didn’t go as I planned and hoped it would. But at the end of the day, I’m someone who never gives up. I always prepare for the next big thing. That’s life for me
- In a highly competitive field like dancing, how do you maintain your authenticity and stand out? Are there specific styles or forms of dance that resonate with you the most?
I’m a Bharatanatyam dancer. And I dance duets with my twin sister. That itself is a standout.
- What is your sister, Apoorva Rao, to you?
In the best ways, I’d describe Apoorva as my other half. Like literally!
- Can you share some insights into how you manage your time and energy effectively between these diverse pursuits?
In this field, unless you have projects lined up you’re bound to have a lot of free time. I usually spend my mornings at the gym, work with my sister at her clinic, and also part-time for Mythri movie makers. So yeah, my day is pretty busy sometimes.
- What message or advice would you give to aspiring dancers and social media influencers who are trying to make a mark in their respective fields?
Just go for it. Don’t be bothered by what others will say or how they will judge you. At the end of the day, you’re doing something you love, and nothing should come in the way of it. Not even yourself.
- Social media often comes with its share of challenges. How do you handle criticism or negativity online, and what strategies do you employ to maintain a positive online presence?
I’m usually a very positive person. I always get back on track no matter how hard it gets. I’ve faced a lot of negativity, and criticism almost all the time. But I’ve learnt how to put that all aside and keep doing what I’m best at. People talk no matter what. They always have something or the other to say. Why be bothered at that petty stuff?
- Looking ahead, what are your aspirations and goals, both professionally and personally? Are there specific milestones you aim to achieve in the coming years, and how do you plan to evolve your career further?
I want to be an actor. That would be my ultimate goal. I have been working towards that for years. May it be learning a specific language or may it be building myself to fit a character, basically whatever it takes for me to achieve what I believe I can achieve.
- What is the best advice you have got so far?
No matter how hard it gets, as long as you believe in yourself, you’re the winner. The moment you stop trusting yourself to do better, that’s when you’ll lose. No never give up.
- Favourite dance style?
- Most challenging Big Boss task?
I haven’t had the chance to perform any task, but I’d say cleaning the whole BB house.
- Top social media platform for your fans?
- One word to describe your dancing style?
- Dream collaboration in the entertainment industry?
A chance to act with the top actors.
- Best advice you’ve ever received?
You can do it!
- Favourite dance performance you’ve done?
- Go-to comfort food?
- Biggest inspiration in your life?
The person I dream of becoming.
Project designer : @shamini_shankar_official
Photographer and team: @murlee_photography | @xavierphotography
Makeup/Hair : @ratnamakeupartist